Senior WAN Network Architect
The Senior WAN Network Engineer design, install and support Wide Area Networks to fulfill the business requirements gathered by Global Infrastructure Services (GIS).
Act as a Subject Matter Expert for Wide Area Networks including, but not limited to, the last level of network support for daily operations and be the interface with 3rd party network providers.
Ensure that the WAN connectivity provided by the Connectivity Services are established and delivered in a professional manner.
This includes the oversight of all installations, configurations and technical changes based on standards, best practices and standard operating procedures, and include engineering and operational support, planning and reporting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Conducts network assessments to validate enterprise baseline and provide context for future network direction
- Participates as the lead Networking subject matter expert in the development of solutions in support of new business and application expansion.
- Research, analyze, trade-off, conduct proof-of-concept and recommend critical networking solutions to assure scalability, extensibility, robustness and security.
- Keep current on emerging/new technologies through educational opportunities, research, professional affiliations and personal networking. Build relationships with external experts in the field
- Perform network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose complex network problems in a large-scale environment.
- Keep senior technical management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems.
- Provide technical expertise in analyzing, diagnosing and resolving problems in support of Cisco router/switches, Wireless, Multicast routing, MPLS and VoIP
- Capacity planning of the network by monitoring and analyzing network, performance and availability.
- Proactively research and evaluate tools and technologies as appropriate to the network environment while developing a solution to increase better performance and lower the total cost of ownership.
- Oversee, develop and maintain documentation for the implementation and support procedures of existing systems and new technologies in the network.
- Responsible for emergency off-hours network support as needed including on-call duties.
- Maintain network uptime and reliability to the satisfaction of the Sinai Health System with the goal of maintaining network services at a 99% reliability standard.
- Diagnose network problems and outages using network sniffer, NetFlow statistics, system logs, and other current trouble shooting and data collectors.
- Approves and modifies network design and architecture to ensure regulatory compliance.
- May take on role of Project Leader for special enterprise-wide assignments. May coach and mentor more junior technical staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- CCIE has written or equivalent experience (CCNP or CCDP required)
- 10+ years related experience in designing, planning, documenting and implementing WANs using the latest technology
- Thorough knowledge of IP Communications, Virtualization and Data Center Industry Solutions
- Hands-on experience working with a Cisco L2 & L3 platform technologies
- Solid experience working with Cisco Nexus platform (2k, 5k, 7k, and 9k etc)
- Extensive experience and expertise with Routing Protocols- OSPF, BGP, EIGRP
- WAN technologies- SDWAN, MPLS, DMVPN, IPsec
- Security Appliances- ASA firewalls, Juniper firewall, IronPort, VPNs
- Switching & Routing – Nexus 7k/5k/2k, ASR routers
- Network and Compute Virtualization technologies- VRF, VDC, VMWare
- Other – HSRP, Spanning Tree, QoS, DNS, DHCP, WCCP, Cisco Prime, Fiber zoning, TACACS+ & AAA, Cisco WLCs, NetScaler load-balancing, Riverbed WOS
- Proven experience in System Development / Deployment and Project Management
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks at the same time
- Demonstrated leadership role with network infrastructure
- Large-scale network design skills